Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Tuesday....

Veterans Day.. First..A thanks goes out to all those vets out there, those of us that have served, those that are currently serving and those that gave the ultimate sacrifice...I honor you all..

I woke up this morning in a very somber mood...I dreamt about the bridge all night..That still hurts that it is gone. I've been reading many message boards all over the internet today and the consensus is the same...the people that knew the bridge all loved it..everyone is totally upset.. It is such a shame.

Today is Veterans Day...another reason to be somber...It is a day to honor and celebrate our vets..in some circumstances it should be kind of a happy day..and I did have a very happy moment today. My nephew invited me to his school for "Take A Vet To School Day" to celebrate Veterans Day. I couldn't pass up this chance either as I had gone to my grandsons school last week.

So, the school, in conjunction with Time Warner Cable (our local cable TV provider) and the History Channel they put on a wonderful assembly.


Nice T-Shirts we recieved..

It was very touching..and after the assembly we got to go to the classroom of the child that invited us there. So, there was myself and female vet that had been in the Army.

The class had prepared a number of questions that they asked us. I also took my shadow box which of course garnered quite a bit of attention. The kids were great with some of the questions they had..it truly was a wonderful day.


I unfortunately, am still in a very somber mood.

As far as the TM..well, I help up pretty good...I had jeans on again..so I was having that tingling pain again...and after the assembly was over, I was very tired. When we got home I laid down and took a nap for awhile. It's now 4:30pm, I have a headache...I'm still tired.
This is enough for now.

*****This is an edit of this post...because I screwed up...Just for the record...I am posting this edit on Wednesday 12 November...When I did my post yesterday I was very tired, had a headache and was starting to not feel very well.

Well...lo and behold, I think I am getting "sick" again. I still have the headache and now diarrhea and just feel like crap.
But, I meant to post something else yesterday, having to do with Veterans Day. I am posting it now...
This is a video of Arlo Guthrie...many of you might remember him...the son of late, great Woody Guthrie, an American folk hero as is Arlo in his own way. Arlo had many great songs over the years. He was also known as a bit of an anti-war activist but Arlo wrote a song that was mostly forgotten over the years. That is, until the U.S. entered this war that we're currently in. This song was written for our soldiers and how they were mostly forgotten about when they returned home from war..
Fortunately, that isn't the case any more....

Here are the words...
Halfway around the world tonight
In a strange and foreign land
A soldier packs his memories
As he leaves Afghanistan
And back home they don't know too much
There's just no way to tell
I guess you had to be there
For to know that war was hell

Chorus:
And there won't be any victory parades
For those that's coming back
They'll fly them in at midnight
And unload the body sacks
And the living will be walking down
A long and lonely road
Because nobody seems to care these days
When a soldier makes it home

They'll say it wasn't easy
Just another job well done
As the government in Kabul falls
To the sounds of rebel guns
And the faces of the comrades
Being blown out of the sky
Leaves you bitter with the feeling
That they didn't have to die

Chorus

Halfway around the world tonight
In a strange and foreign land
A soldier unpacks memories
That he saved from Vietnam
Back home they didn't know too much
There was just no way to tell
I guess you had to be there
For to know that war was hell

And there wasn't any big parades
For those that made it back
They flew them in at midnight
And unloaded all the sacks
And the living were left walking down
A long and lonely road
Because nobody seemed to care back then
When a soldier made it home

The night is coming quickly
And the stars are on their way
As I stare into the evening
Looking for the words to say
That I saw the lonely soldier
Just a boy that's far from home
And I saw that I was just like him
While upon this earth I roam

And there may not be any big parades
If I ever make it back
As I come home under cover
Through a world that can't keep track
Of the heroes who have fallen
Let alone the ones who won't
Which is why nobody seems to care
When a soldier makes it home

**********and dammit...a double edit.
I just had to also include this video...My TM friend Heather in Calgary, Alberta, Canada sent this to me...this is by a Canadian artist, Terry Kelly.
I think the video speaks for itself...please watch it.


Till Next Time..............

0 comments: