Friday, November 7, 2008

Friday

I have to post today...I am tired but so happy...
A few days ago my 5 year old grandson informed me that there was going to be a Veterans Day celebration at his school and Veterans were invited to come and bring memorabilia to show the kids and the school was going to serve breakfast and then have an assembly.
Well, my wife and I got there...breakfast was scrambled eggs, sausage and biscuits...
But what the school did for the assembly was awesome. First, for the vets..they had a list of all of us...and the principal of the school called us by name, one at a time and also said the branch of service. As each name was called we would walk up to the center of the assembly room and then stood side by side with all the vets.
After that we sat down and many of the classes had put together some little skits and various things to thank the vets...and the band teacher at the school played the theme song of each branch of the military, on a trumpet.
We also had a moment of silence to give our respect for those lost, while the band teacher played Taps... This brought a tear to my eyes...

I also had a chance to speak to my grandsons kindergarten class and show some pictures I had, some squadron patches I had and my shadowbox from when I retired. It was cute watching them look at everything. I know that most of this was probably beyond their understanding but I think they enjoyed seeing everything.

Anyway, this was only about a 2 1/2 hour adventure from the time we got there until we left...and I am beat. I know that some of it has to do with the emotions...I am so proud to have served my country but I am more proud of those that have served with me and even though it is very sad, I am the proudest of those that gave the ultimate sacrifice for what they believed in. Days like Veterans Day mean so much to me..

Now, how did the TM play into this...well first, I wore jeans today because I thought I should look presentable in my grandsons school. The first time I've put jeans on since 14 May. It's interesting because I've read many instances of others that are bothered by their clothes or certain touches in places. How those sensations hurt or are very irritating.
I discovered what they meant today...I couldn't wait to get those jeans off. I don't know if it was the fabric, the weight of the fabric or what...but my butt and the tops of the backs of my legs felt like they were on fire while I had those jeans on.
I usually wear sweats and they don't bother me as bad..I guess because the fabric is a lot softer..
I also had to do a bit of walking around inside the school which was tiring...
Add all this to the fact that I woke up at 4:00am because my legs were bothering me... I'm bushed right now..
But that Veterans Day Celebration was wonderful and I am so glad I went.

I also get to go to another one this coming Tuesday for my nephew..hopefully I get a good nights sleep the night before.

Quick update on the toe...it feels better, it's still somewhat sore but it is getting better, although if I bump it..it reminds me that I just broke it...

I'm gonna nap for a bit...but before I do that...a couple of tunes for ya..
Some blues... Ya gotta love them blues..

The first... a couple of legendary bluesmen..Buddy Guy and Junior Wells









and this vid...from someone that you probably haven't heard of but he is one of the premier bluesmen that there ever was...
Walter Trout...


Enjoy..!!

Till Next Time....................

1 comments:

Marie said...

That sounds like a great morning Kevin. Thank you for your service to our country. :)

Boy your description of your symptoms really hits home. That nerve pain from even the slightest touch is horrendous. And you just can't explain it to people.

"Your clothes hurt you?!?" They just don't get it.

Sweats are my best friends. lol