Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Hello, Hello, Hello

Hi to everyone out there in cyber land....
It's time to do a quick update on here.

So, to bring you up to date...Yesterday I had my 3 month appointment with my pain doc.
As I had mentioned to him at my last appointment, I was having some issues with my pain meds in that they just weren't doing too much anymore. Especially on bad days with rainy, cool weather and the old legs and my back side would just ping with the tingling and burn like they were on fire.
We had discussed the possibility of changing my meds since my body was probably too used to what I was taking.

Well, it just so happens that yesterday was a cool, rainy day and I was having fits..The doc asked me what was wrong when he walked in the room...I told him what was up and he said that he could see it in my face.
My blood pressure was up too...usually a good indicator that the pain level is up there.
The doc also mentioned to me that most of his other patients were complaining of pain too (this doc is also a neurologist besides specializing in pain) so most of his patients deal with neuropothy pain.

So we chatted a few more minutes about the pain and the pain meds and then he told me that he wanted to try me on Oxy-Contin...My first thought when he said that was about all the bad press that Oxy-Contin gets with people being addicted to it and people getting busted for it for selling it and so on....I asked doc about the chances of getting addicted to it and he tells me that Oxy is really not that much different than the MS Contin I am currently taking...
He tells me that Oxy is pretty much the same type of drug, just different formulations....
So I decided to go with his recommendation....At first I thought about telling him about a couple of other TM people I know that are taking Tramadol with pretty good success but then I figured I'll not say anything and if it turns out that the Oxy doesn't work so well,then I'll bring up the Tramadol to him and see what he says.

While I was there at the appointment, I also got on the subject of the terrible leg cramps that I get...and he recommended that I take a Valium when one of the real bad cramps starts...
So...I got my prescriptions filled on the way home...
and strangely enough...last night I had one of those cramps hit me....just as I was sliding into bed, my left leg started cramping really bad. Every time I tried to stretch it out it would hurt more and more. After a couple of minutes the cramp was still there and it still hurt bad...so I went ahead and took one of the valium and within about 3 minutes, the crap started to subside...
I was like...WOW...this really works. Thank goodness...!!!

Now, on the other hand...the Oxy-Contin. I took one before bed last night and I still woke up about 4:00AM with my legs killing me.
So...strike one
Today so far, my legs don't feel too bad...but I can still tell that the pain is there...but with that aside, I could still tell the pain was there even taking the MS Contin.
I truly don't think those meds really take the pain away...I think they just kind of dull my senses so that I'm not as aware of the pain.
Well, I'll give this a few more days and see what happens...

Otherwise....status quo. One thing though...I just am not getting the same old feeling of happiness and the feeling that my legs are working better now that the warmer weather is coming...
Last year once the warmer weather started coming in, I was feeling a bit better and the legs were working better..
I'm just not getting that right now...and I can't figure out why...
Again, we'll give it a few more weeks and see what happens with this.

Okay, I'll close for now...I'm nodding off while I'm writing this...

My 3 year TM anniversary is coming up in 10 days...May 14th......
maybe I'll update again on that date.

So now that brings me to this....my music post..
Something from the bluesman...Walter Trout..
a little tune called "Satisfied"
I hope you enjoy...


Till Next Time......

1 comments:

Britney Wells said...

hello Kevin...I completely understand your feelings of pain...I am on a fetnyl patch..it is considered to be for cancer patients much of the time, and is 80 times stronger than morphine..i was on 25 mg since my diagnosis in January...and they stay on three days, supposedly working 72 hours...the 1st day is usually good, second so so and by the 3rd day, I feel as tho im on no pain meds at all. My nueroligist kept asking me if it was working ok and I said yes last month even though I knew it wasnt..im scared of the addictive nature of the drug. Then 3 weeks ago I went in for an emergency appointment, I could barely function to get into the office, I was put back in the hospital for 3days, mris were run, all came back ok, looking like no new areas were inflamed. They found one tiny white spot on my brain, but my dr said it did not look like any ms lesions he had seen before. They increased my patch to 50 mgs. It does work better, my close friends say they can see the expression on my face has changed, and my doctor told me I have to be honest about my pain from now on. Im more functional now. Day 3 I am still in a lot of pain. I know Im just masking symptoms, but I have to do what I can considering I have a four year old to take care of. It is quite frustrating though, and it is very hard to accept that your body is no longer your own....anyway sorry to ramble but just wanted you to know I understand, maybe it is a med you would like to look into. I too take valium for the cramps in my legs, and it helps alot with stiffness. Hope you feel better soon.