Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Tuesday evening

update. A little late on the update today..I had three appointments at the VA today and just got home a bit ago.
Figured I'd do a quick update.
First thing...I learned a very important lesson yesterday that has to do with TM and cold weather.
I went outside to take down some outside Christmas decorations. It wasn't terribly cold out...about the mid 30's. I was out for about 45 minutes. It was tough enough walking in soggy grass trying to balance with my cane and using the other hand to take some of the stuff down and apart. I had to be very slow and methodical in doing everything so that I didn't fall. As I was outside for a bit I could feel my legs starting to get very sluggish. So, I started moving slower...
Well, after I had everything done I came back in the house and I'll tell you...My legs were almost useless. I literally could barely walk and I was also so fatigued that I was puffing like an old steam locomotive. Jeebus.....
If you can relate to ever being outside in really cold weather and your hands get real stiff and hard to move....that's what my legs were like after only about 45 minutes.
It took me a good half an hour to warm up and walk around again. So, important lesson learned there.
Today was my mental health session at the VA. That went well and according to my therapist, I am making progress. I concur with that...I do feel much better than I did even just a month ago. I really feel that I've come to terms with TM. I know what my limitations are and I deal with those. The pain and bowel and bladder are an inconvenience and annoying now. The one thing that does make me nuts is that my short term memory is bad. It bugs me to no end when I can't think of a simple word that I want or I can't remember something. Example...One of my appointments today at the VA. The psychologist asked me the name of my family doc. I could not, for the life of me remember. I've only been going to her now for over 8 years. I did remember right before my appointment was over but geez...

Anyway, it's time to move on and make 2009 a better year. For me, for my wife and for everyone.
So, I'll close for now...

Music....I'm going to throw this one out there...tribute to Delaney Bramlett. He passed last month at the age of 69. He was such a huge influence on greats as Eric Clapton. This is an especially soulful selection from Delaney and Bonnie with Eric and also another fave of mine...Dave Mason.
Take a listen and enjoy...
Delaney will be missed by many....


Till Next Time......

0 comments: