Monday, October 6, 2008

GoodBye Blue Monday

Whew...
Had PT today..Cindie hooked me up to the e-stim.. That always feels good..I guess I like a little ZAP....
While I was doing e-stim..Cindie was checking my files to see what some of my goals were..I know I mentioned before about the walking 2500 feet goal..and Cindie and I discussed that..and we both determined that 2500 feet right now is an extremely lofty goal.
So, Cindie told me that two other goals were to walk outside on uneven terrain and to also navigate an outdoor flight of steps..
After e-stim Cindie says..lets go outside.. which I was more than up for..it was so nice and cool out this morning that I figured it would be nice to get out. Cindie asked if I wanted to take my wheelchair to get to the door to go outside..and me in my stubbornness and desire to push myself to make improvements, I told Cindie that I would walk.

So, down the hall we went..to the elevator..and down to the bottom floor. Out of the elevator and a short walk down another hall to the door that went outside. We go outside and the first thing is the flight of steps.. No Problem at all..but it was a little tiring. As we got to the top of the flight of stairs there is a nice brick walkway that we started our way down..and then some picnic tables.

At this point I said I needed to rest for just a quick minute. I sat and got my breath and then we started off. She wanted me to walk through the grass and up and over curbs and such to see how well I navigated everything. There was also a short handicap ramp leading to one of the doors so she had me go up and turn around and back down..no problem..so we start heading back towards the steps and now I'm getting a little wore out..My left foot starts slapping down..which I know is a good indicator that I'm tired.

I had to stop once in the grass on the way back to the stairs. Got back to the steps and down them and back to the door inside. Now, that short little length of hallway looked a hell of a lot further than I thought. I stopped for a bit to catch my breath again..While we were standing there Cindie said that when we get back to the PT section she thinks that all we will do is some stretching..She told me that the walk we had been on has been almost 20 minutes..(and I'm thinking to myself..geez..we really haven't walked all that far distance wise)

So, back down the hallway to the elevator and back upstairs.. I was so glad to make it back to that floor..We got to one of the rehab rooms and I pretty much flopped on one of the mats. Cindie stretched me for about 5 minutes and then I just layed there..I was so spent.
All said and done..with the distance we went..I'm thinking that it probably wasn't much more than about a quarter of a mile walk..and I felt like I did 10 miles..

Ohh...and back to the title of this entry..GoodBye Blue Monday. I don't know why that came into mind.. That is the name of a promotional products company in Boulder Colorado..My wife was at an event one time when we lived there and she got me a t-shirt from them..It has the moon logo on it and it glows in the dark..
I've always loved the name of that company..and it is so appropriate when I want a particularly bad, stressful, crappy, or just plain old yucky Monday to be over..GoodBye Blue Monday...



Till Next Time..........................................................

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Kevin ! I was dxed with TM in July 07'. Just keep on truckin', my fellow TMer :))) I can relate to everything you've written. I'm 56, married and a grandma, and am grateful for my slow recovery. I walk with a cane, fatigue is lessening now a days, pain is slowly ebbing and still some bowel and bladder troubles. You are an inspiration to all those around you, I'm sure ! take care and you are in my prayers. thanks for your blog sue thomas

KevinDW said...

Sue,
Well first, thanks for the comment. I hope you pop back in sometime and read this. I have no other way of contacting you so I will leave a comment to your comment.
I am so very glad that you stopped by to read my ramblings..
I am very glad for your recovery..and I keep the faith that I will also..I am glad for what I have done so far..but some days are very frustrating..as I'm sure you know.
As each day passes I seem to grow more used to the fact that life as I knew it has changed and now I am just glad that I have a new day to look forward to each day when I awake.
Sue, thanks again and I will keep you in my thoughts..
Please stop in and visit again..
Kevin