Thursday, June 19, 2008

Update from yesterday and today

Went for my three week followup yesterday with my Neurologist.. I discussed all of my questions and concerns with him..
My main concerns were the fatigue, leg pain, bed sore, bowel issue and mood swings.. Fatigue was something he addressed because not only do I get tired out just doing basic things like showering but it has been compounded by the lack of sleep lately which has been brought about by the leg pain which also hasn't been helping my mood swings. So, he upped my Zanaflex, took me off of Lyrica for the nerve pain and prescribed Amitriptyline which should help the pain and also it is an antidepressant and also helps as a sleep aid.. I took my first dose last night and my wife actually had to wake me up this morning to get ready for my PT. So, I'd say that it worked pretty well.
He looked at the bed sore and felt that it was very superficial..prescribed some cream for it and said to go to my appointment on Tuesday and they will get me fixed up.. he was not terribly concerned with it...so that relieved me.
For the bowel issue..he prescribed me a suppository that I am supposed to use in the morning after breakfast and he said I should be good for the rest of the day.. cool..!! Which, if that's the case then I'll be able to rid myself of these blasted diapers.. woohoo...
So, with all that being said..If I can get some of these issues resolved and just concentrate on my PT maybe I'll start making some progress..
Which, I went to my PT today..it went pretty well.. I was still a little groggy from that dose of Amiltriptyline. While I was I at my followup yesterday I asked the doc about water therapy and he seemed to feel that would be a good thing..so he wrote me a Rx for that and I discussed that with my Physical Therapist today and they felt that would be a good idea also...but I have to get my bed sore healed first....So, I will be doing PT twice a week as I am now and then Water Therapy once a week for 12 weeks.
Returning back to work... that's up in the air for now.. Physically.. I would be exhausted in an hour.. and mentally... I can't even imagine right now..
That's all folks..

1 comments:

mona said...

Kevin,
Love your blog! I thought of starting one in the beginning, but was too "fatigued" to begin. The fatigue will lessen as you heal. I used to go to PT and OT and eat lunch and callapse. My "therapy" has run out for my insurance so I go to the Y now. I talked to the personal trainer, explained the TM business, sent her to our website and she is working with me on core body strength and of course upper and lower muscles. I just started with her a little over a month ago. At first just the lowest weights and one or two sets and my legs were rubber the rest of the day and not to be trusted, but with another month of healing and strengthing I am upping my weights and sets and walking the Kroger after. Woo-Hoo! Aren't I the physical speciman! I am into this 5 months and can look back and still see progress. that is what I live for! I can even turn in the shower...with my eyes closed...and don't have to grab for the walls for balance anymore! these are the little things to pay attention to. don't get discouraged by the length of time it takes to heal...just know we are healing! which is better than the alternative!
It sounds like you are doing great and have a good DR that listens and understands. Thats all for now...love the blog