Wednesday, June 11, 2008

June 11th 2008

For those that are not aware.. My experience with Transverse Myelitis started at about 1:00am on the 14th of May while my wife and I were vacationing in Erie, PA visiting my mom.

I spent 6 days in Hamot hospital in Erie going through a battery of tests (cat scan, 2 MRI's, Lumbar puncture and quite a few blood tests).

By my second day there I had been diagnosed with TM. I went through a 5 day course of Solumedrol (steroids) to see if there would be any improvement and there wasn't but now I have come to find out that the early administering of the steroids helped my condition from worsening. (that's a good thing)

Now, the next thing was that the doctors were working with my wife and I to get me back here to Canton since we live here.
After the 4th day there we had a case worker that contacted the hospital here in Canton and found they had a good rehab unit.. arrangements were made to transfer me to Mercy Medical Center. On the 20th of May my wife and I made the drive back here to Canton and I was directly admitted to Mercy. I started a pretty rigorous Physical and Occupational therapy program...twice a day for an hour and a half each day..I made some (very minor) progress during my therapy..(I gained some strength back) but my progress was very slow.

I was at Mercy for 8 days and then they decided that I would be better off doing outpatient physical therapy..twice a week there at the rehab unit and the other 5 days doing my exercises at home.

So, on the 28th of May I was released to come home..It has been nice being home.. just getting back into my own surroundings..
As far as the TM goes... about the same so far..although I have gained some minor movement back in my left foot..(I can barely wiggle my toes which is something I could not do before)
I get so blasted tired so easily, I have to self cath myself since my bladder doesn't work and I essentially have no control of my bowels..(so, I get to wear diapers..how humiliating that is)
My legs have spasms and my left leg aches constantly...sleeping is a chore since my leg bothers me all the time so consequently I get very little good sleep. To add to all of this the emotional stress has been exhausting. I am emotionally and mentally drained...

That my friends is a quick overview of what the last 28 days have been like...

I will post more as I think of things to say and as other progress happens..I will try to make daily updates even if just to say "HI"

I also want to thank all my friends and relatives for their words of encouragement and humor...
Thank all of you ...you mean so much to me..
and I want to thank my wife Liz...she has been amazing through all of this.. I love her so much..!!
Chat with everyone soon...
Kev

0 comments: