Friday, May 29, 2009

Friday update

Okay then, well, I have reason to update today....nothing TM related though. To back up to Wednesday the 27th...that day was my wife's and my anniversary...unfortunately we didn't have anything spectacular planned as my wife had to work that afternoon.
Now, as I wrote before...I just had my one year TM anniversary and I was fortunate (sarcasm)enough to be in the hospital last year for my wedding anniversary.

So, this past Wednesday...I awoke and things were pretty good other than the fact that the arthritis in my left hip was flaring up because of the humidity. It was really no biggie because I can deal with the pain but it is an annoyance...
Well, today was going to be kind of a big day for me because I was going to be driving myself for the first time since I got TM. I had to run to the drug store to get some of my meds. My Neuro had cleared me to drive on my last appointment with him and this was kind of like part of getting my identity back.

So, about 10:00am I get in the shower and get dressed...and then about 11:30am I decide to make myself some lunch before I go to the store. About 1:00pm I head out to the drug store and by the time I get home I'm having this feeling like something is stabbing me in the left side of my back up under my rib cage..It doesn't really hurt, but it is uncomfortable. The day continues on and I'm relaxing on the bed for a bit and had taken a vicodon just to try and help relieve some of the discomfort.
My wife gets ready for work and leaves about 3:30pm to stop at the store beforehand. So, I'm hanging out here at home and this pain starts to get worse..to the point where I'm thinking maybe it's a kidney stone or who knows...but all I know is that it was getting very hard to walk. At one point I went in to the bathroom and the pain was so bad that it actually made me break out in a sweat and I vomited.
So, back to the bed...and I find one position to lay that isn't excruciating and I start to think that something is really wrong...I had no idea what was going on. I think to myself..okay, when Lizzie gets home from work (10:00pm) I'll have her take me to the ER.
Well, about 7:30pm she calls home anyway just to check in and when I answered the phone she could tell something was wrong and she came home and called the EMT's because I could not get up off of the bed.
EMT's got here and I got another ambulance ride to the hospital...

So, I'm laying there on the gurney at the hospital in the ER waiting for the doc to come in and the pain is so intense...and of course I can't get any pain meds until the doc sees me and gives the order...so I wait and wait and wait...I don't know what time the doc finally comes in but when he does, first he has no idea what TM is when I tell him I have that..and then I describe what is going on with me now...and he asks me what I think is wrong...I couldn't believe he even asked me that...
Anyway...long story short...after 2 MRI's, X-Ray, blood work and urine..the doc tells me there is nothing he can find. No kidney stones or anything else...must be a pulled muscle..
I was like..????? What....?????
How, where, when....
Anyway...now to fast forward...my wife and I get home about 2:00am Thursday and I'm so juiced up on pain meds that I am able to sleep...but I sleep in a reclining chair instead of the bed because I can't lay flat still.
Thursday my wife calls my PC doctor and she gets me in. I am barely able to walk to get in and out of the van but we get to the docs office and I cover everything with her and she starts checking me out. Since she already has access to everything they did at the hospital the night before she goes over that and she starts thinking as to what might be going on.
First, she is going to have some blood taken to check for a blood clot in my lung. That could potentially cause the type of pain I was suggesting (that came back negative)...and then she had me get up on the exam table on my stomach.. and she starts manipulating the area and I tell her when she hits specific spots...and then she says..hmmm, 10 to 1 it's the floating ribs #11 - 12.
Apparently they can get out of place and cause the type of pain I was having...funny thing is though that they usually show on MRI's..
Anyway, my doc worked on the area for a few minutes and told me to up my zanaflex for a couple of days.
Well, I'll tell you...as the day went on yesterday after I saw my doc...The pain in that spot starting feeling so much better.
I slept in the chair again last night and took my zanaflex this morning and now the pain is all but just a mild twinge. I don't know what my doc did but she apparently knew what she was doing.

So...two years in a row..my wedding anniversary..ambulance ride, hospital...This is getting to be a bit of a habit.

Music today...just for fun....
A song from the 70's called Popcorn from a band called Hot Butter....


Till Next Time......

0 comments: